Sunday, May 1, 2011

Retail Therapy!

"A man will never love you or treat you as well as a store. If a man doesn't fit, you can't exchange him seven days later for a gorgeous cashmere sweater. And a store always smells good. A store can awaken a lust for things you never even knew you needed. And when your fingers first grasp those shiny, new bags... oh yes... oh yes. "






Sounds familiar? Yes, this is from one of my all time favorite 
movies, Confessions Of A Shopaholic. And boy, that movie sure taught me a few lessons. Yes, I am the biggest shopaholic ever(and every girl says that, but I am telling you I am just awfully shopaholic). But shopping makes me so very happy, which is why I do it (and very often if I may add).
But I always shop for a reason. So for instance, today my reason was primary "Retail Therapy". I must say I am awful at understanding moods and emotions but believe me if this were taught in psychology, I would be doing a psychology major by now..!


So lets do some reading up on Retail Therapy shall we...



Its a Saturday evening. You are planning to step out with your folks when suddenly one of them decide they don't want to  which results in an almost World War 3 at home. The conversation that starts at "spending unnecessary money" moves into family histories and some shouting and screaming.! Basically,your Saturday evening is kind of ruined and so is the rest of the weekend! Not happening eh? So what do we do? 

Well don't slip into depression,slip into your favorite outfit,grab that wallet and let's shop baby!
Yes, Retail Therapy is by far one of the best things ever discovered(credits to the person who came up with it). 

Retail Therapy HistoryRetail therapy was first used as a term in the 1980s with the first reference being this sentence in the Chicago Tribune of Christmas Eve 1986: "We've become a nation measuring out our lives in shopping bags and nursing our psychic ills through retail therapy."
And since the 1980s, this term tops the list of every girl's vocabulary.

So How Does It Work: Its pretty simple actually. You are in the mood to beat someone up or maybe drown yourself in the ocean. Don't do that..Instead step into your favorite store and buy yourself a treat. The whole idea behind retail therapy is to make the disturbed individual feel good about themselves. And the minute that happens, bad mood disappears. The whole idea is to get that" feel good about self" feeling. 

Believe me, Retail Therapy can work like magic. True,its after effects can be a little stressful(which means your credit card statement can be the cause of a minor heart attack) but nevertheless, if you believe in living in the moment,then Retail Therapy is the thing for you.


My top 5 Retail Therapy Buys:
1. Books ,books and more books
2. Shoes
3.Stationary( I am the biggest stationary freak ever so yes buying notebooks makes me "feel good"!)
4.Accessories(this includes everything ,from bags to watches)
5.  Stuff for friends(yes, my friends are darn lucky!)

1 comment:

  1. dis is a must read 4 all d girls!!!! m sure all d girls wud agree 2 d pleasure dat shoppin gives 2 all f us...

    ReplyDelete